What do wildly successful business people have in common?Multiple studies confirm they tend to be exceptional communicators—people who excel at moving information and insight into action.
What can you learn from these communication superheroes?In all my years’ experience working in the business communication field, I’ve observed that two behaviors set exceptional communicators apart:
- How they THINK through what they want to say.
- How they SPEAK to their target audiences.
Communication superheroes take a smart, disciplined approach to THINK.“Think before you speak" my grandmother often told me, usually after I’d stuck my foot in my mouth. It’s still good advice.
Exceptional business communicators do just that. And in their thinking, they are:
- Deeply curious: they dig down to bedrock to uncover what’s going on for their audience, to profoundly understand the issues their audience cares about most.
- Sharply focused: they put their audience’s problems into sharp focus and then define easy-to-understand paths to resolution.
- Thoroughly prepared: they plan their narrative. They develop a concise and convincing story that their audience can viscerally relate to and learn from. They also anticipate and prepare for audience reactions.
Communication superheroes get “in the zone” to SPEAK.Being “in the zone” is often used to describe elite athletes performing at their peak. It implies increased focus and attention under pressure, both mentally and physically.
Likewise, exceptional business communicators master the delivery skills needed to achieve peak performance. They invest the time and energy needed to “own” a particular story (and get in the zone) through intense practice.
This empowers them to be:
- Fully present: having built the muscle memory needed to master their delivery, they’re free to focus their attention on the audience, and are able to handle surprises and challenges with grace.
- Confidently interactive: they build rapport and trust with their audience by asking thought-provoking questions and handling tough questions without getting defensive.
- Credibly engaging: even in challenging, high-stakes conversations and presentations—whether face-to-face or virtual—they deliver with an authentic conviction that makes them believable, memorable, and motivating.
How will this make me more successful?Because exceptional business communicators know how to THINK and SPEAK effectively, they achieve desired RESULTS consistently in three areas:
- Presenting ideas and information.
- Influencing others to take action.
- Collaborating effectively.
People who do these three things exceptionally well are invaluable to their organizations. They’re recognized, rewarded, and highly sought after.
How will this make my business more successful?Ultimately, your organization benefits from the ability of exceptional communicators to:
- Help individuals and teams make better decisions—and faster than the norm.
- Keep others engaged and focused on the things that promote progress, not impede it.
- Empower everyone involved to execute with excellence.
Become a communication superhero OR build an entire team of exceptional business communicators with Mandel's world-class Think and Speak for Results™ Communication Training—a series of workshops that build extraordinary presentation, influence, and collaboration skills
What does the hit on Netflix called The Queen’s Gambit tell us about how to sell in a virtual setting? Actually, something very important.
Before we break down how this show teaches us the key to virtual selling let’s look at the backstory.
Gratitude. Appreciation. Recognition. It makes you feel good. This week in the US, many will pause for a day or two to give thanks and show appreciation for the things and people we care about most. It’s no secret how appreciation benefits the person getting it—but did you know it benefits the person giving it just as much?
Discover why recognition is such a powerful tool for improving relationships and wellbeing in life—and at work. Learn how to (and how NOT to) express your appreciation to others.
People in communities across the globe are adjusting to communicating while wearing masks. As we’re all experiencing, masks present both verbal and non-verbal communication challenges.Given this, we’ve prepared 5 tips for effective communications while wearing a mask, and compiled several insightful articles from leading publications on additional best practices.
If your 2020 user conference plans were impacted by the pandemic, you’re not alone. And if, like many, you’ve chosen to move forward by converting to a virtual conference, you’ll be relying more than ever on your speakers’ skills. Share these 8 tips with your virtual conference speakers to help them prepare to impress.
It happened fast. One day you were meeting with your colleagues at the office. The next day you and everyone you work with are working in remote isolation from home. Whether you’re new to working remotely or an experienced veteran, we all need to raise our virtual collaboration game to not only make this new reality work, but to make it work really well. Read on to discover seven practical, high impact tactics you can implement right now to ensure the success of your virtual meetings.
Customers coming to a user conference aren’t there for the fanfare, they’re there for the expertise. If you’re an expert speaking at a user conference, you’re highly knowledgeable and passionate about your topic, but you might not be an expert at speaking in front of an audience. Here are five practical tips that you can implement right away for any upcoming speaking event.
Learn how making a few smart, yet simple, changes to your email can improve your odds of quickly getting the response you need.
Read the blog and learn how to make your next team offsite your most productive yet.
TED Talks have become a go-to example for how to give an engaging presentation from the big stage. They can be informative, inspiring, and often incredibly entertaining. But is the TED Talk format right for a business presentation delivered in a conference room? Probably not — but the skills used by TED Talk presenters definitely are!
Learn how to identify what goes into a successful TED Talk and how to make those skills work for you in your everyday business presentations.
Learn Mandel’s 3-step model for skillfully responding — not reacting — to tough questions with confidence and ease.
- Welcome to the Future of Sales (Hint: It’s Virtual)
- Listen Closely: Your Company Culture Depends On It
- How to Deliver Impactful, Engaging Hybrid Meetings
- Leading a Virtual Team Means Doing Things Differently
- Are You Really Listening?
- 4 Listening Tips for Improving Your Virtual Meetings
- The Irresistible Power of Stories in Virtual Selling
- The Top Sales Skill for 2021!
- Top Virtual Communication Mistakes – and How to Overcome Them in 2021!
- Tell a Story. Close a Deal. Even on Zoom.